our imaginations! (Well, that and unfortunately, our wallets, at times.) I read these 3 articles and watched the video (same as article #1) and was actually teary-eyed a few times watching these amazing students FIND A WAY! Find a way to speak, write, read, play music, communicate, learn, LIVE!!! That is what struck me the most about this material, the sheer determination of these students and those educators and family members helping them to fulfill their dreams and experience so many different facets of life all with the help of AT. I was very moved by the young man playing the tuba. Before his adaptive tools were available to him, he would just sit and wait to play one note.......one single note, and he did this with the passion of any young musician. The fact that he would not remain satisfied with one note and wanted so much to play his instrument, pushed those around him to help him find a way. I was amazed at this piece because I have never seen adaptive devices used in this manner. It really just touched me and made me start to wonder about the students I work with and the "what if's".......
The other piece in the video and article #1 that I found inspiring was the young woman, Susanna who is a sophmore at Univ. Washington. I was saying to myself, GO MOM, when she mentioned that she never had a laptop in high school. That it was her mom, who "knows how to get through the red tape", who finally demanded and got her this crucial tool to help her learn. Again, the support and encouragement of those people in the lives of these students is so powerful. Once they gain the tools they need, the sky is the limit. They can go forward and pursue their goals just like the non-diabled peers they go to school with. I hope she does achieve her goal of being a news anchor!
Article #2 Eli, Taba, and Camille, all students in Hana, Hawaii at a remote school. This article showed me that these tools can be available wherever you are, wherever they are needed. As an educator, you have to be dedicated to obtaining access to the tools needed to help each individual student. All three of these students used different tools, and all three improved their educational experience tremendously. I loved reading how Taba went from missing school frequently because he did not enjoy school before getting AT, to loving school!
Article #3 was inspirational as well. The way the teacher in Almeda county is utilizing so many tools to teach was so awesome to me. So often teachers can be nervous about the new and the different. Those that embrace these tools are to be seriously applauded. They are removing those obstacles in the way of creating success for ALL students - and that is such a gift. I also liked how they were using peer volunteers who have been trained to assist students with their AT. This provides training and experience for those students that will go forward with them in life, and will be valuable skills to have. I also like the list of different scenarios at the beginning of the article explaining different circumstances/students and what was being done to help them find success in their environments.
As educators we must pursue funding and access to all tools which will enable our students to find success, independence and greater self-esteem.
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Hi Kimbyr -
Like you I was very moved by the stories of the young musician and the girl in the wheel chair who went onto college becuase of her assitive technology.
I also saw on your profile that you work in special ed and have twins! That is awesome! I also have twin girls - they are 2 1/2 and both are in early intervention.
My question for you is do you think that the federal IDEA works?
It seems to me, from reading these stories, from observing in schools as I work on my teaching degree, and from my own experiences as a parent of children in EI that much of the responsibility of providing what students need falls on the parents or any other individual who might care enough to put in the effort to help that child.
In the story about the boy who wanted to play in the band, his mother was quoted as telling him simply to "go see what works" But, it was becuase of an employee at the school who sought out the music store owner and together they helped create a specialized instrument for the boy.
And, in the case of the young girl in the wheelchair, the school was not willing to provide assistive technology upfront to meet her needs. As she said in the video, and as you commented in your post, it was becuase her mother knew how to get around the red tape, and becuase her mother was persistent, that the girl recieved the laptop she needed to help her learn. Many parents I don't think would dare persist and make a school purchase assistive technology becuase I don't think many parents know it is the schools responsibility or are daring enough to put up the fight that may be required to get the technology their child needs.
From your post you seem very thoughtful and caring. I hope you continue to think about those "what ifs" and we all do as we continue on teaching students whether they have disabilities or not.
I would like to add to the previous comment. Another obstacle for students is that some parents and teachers don't even know what kinds of assistive technologies are available. This is of course why we are learning about them now, before we start teaching. It does often take a dedicated parent to find, or even to invent, just the right thing to help their child.
I was also moved by the stories that I read and watched. I think that by sharing these with others especially those with special needs they could be filled with hope and encouragement. I also do think that a lot of what a child needs falls to the parents. I also have a son in early intervention. I had to fight to gey my son the speech services he needed and only after I stated that I was going to call around was something finally done. I think that parents do need to educate themselves in a lot of cases to get their child what they need. I just hope that in the future by training teachers about technology like in this class that teachers become more aware of what is out there so that they can also become an advocate for the student that they are trying to teach.
Thank you for all the comments! I wanted to answer the question about IDEA - the best I can. I honestly think that the best of intentions are there in any legislation, but ultimately from what I see, it does come down to the 1:1 people in a child's life as being the ones who seek out and find the answers and tools to help that child. I think because those who have a vested interest in the child spend so much time trying to help them succeed - they are naturally driven to pursue possibilities. It is also true that not everyone is aware of what is out there - so that can be a big part of a child having or not having access to the tools that might help them succeed.
My daughters both had EI services, one has CP and needed much more than the other, and continues to have services in school - but has done really well. I know from experience - I am the one who pushed for certain things because I read up on them and researched them - but having said that - I think that the services provided in this general area are good and that the system in our state is a strong one and really does work the way it is supposed to most of the time - from what I have seen.
Post a Comment