Friday, February 15, 2008

Blogs in My Future Classroom


My goal is to work in a Special Education Preschool or in a Pre-K through 3rd grade setting as an Autism Intervention Specialist. I can think of many ways in which I could use Blogs as a tool for furthering my own education and for doing research on Autism. Using Blogs with the students, or for direct teaching of my students would be more challenging due to the type of disability, but I think there are ways in which some Blogs could be used as motivators for some students. For instance, if you find one that is particularly appealing to them or has something to do with a subject they are interested (or in some cases fixated on) in, you could use a visit to that Blog as part of a reward system for completion of work or as a reward for positive behavior. I currently use the computer in this manner by allowing a student to view websites and videos online of subject matter they like when they complete academic requirements during the course of their day.
Most classrooms have access to computers now, so utilizing Blogs would be fairly easy to do right within the learning environment a student is comfortable working and learning in. For the student who can read and write, a Blog could be a great tool to inspire them to journal and express themselves if they are able. A Blog is also a great tool for a teacher to use to keep in touch with parents of the students in their class.
Overall - I think that using a Blog could be a great tool to help facilitate learning.

1 comment:

jcrawford said...

I am happy to say that I agree with you on your age group that you prefer to work with. I am a special ed teacher as well. i prefer the younger students with many developmental problems. I have worked with highschool studnets before and I have found I am better with the younger children. They are sweet and fun to teach. They actually like and want to learn:)