Saturday, February 16, 2008

NETS-S Categories I feel are important

Two of the six categories of the NETS-S that I feel are important to learn are the categories of digital citizenship/ethical/responsible/safe practices and the use of technology tools in collaboration and communication.

Digital citizenship and the use of technology systems in a safe and ethical manner is so important for students to learn. The Internet can be a dangerous place for students if they are not taught how to use this tool safely and given guideline to follow for nettiquette. It is important to monitor their usage and to discuss with them the proper respect they should show when sending out information into this medium.
Along with being respectful to others, students must also be taught to respect the actual physcial tools they are using to communicate/learn with. Proper care of equipment should be taught to all students to help ensure that they are careful and responsible when using the equipment. Overall, I beleive that learning respect and ethical behavior should be something that is taught in all venues to help students to become responsible members of society.

It is important to have the technology skills that will allow you to communicate and collaborate with others, not only to be a successful student, but also to be successful and competent out in the real "working world". Nowadays so much communication is done via technological tools, such as email, blogs, wikis, and other Internet resources. It is important to have the skills which will enable you to use these tools properly and clearly. Using these tools allow you to work with others across distances effectively and quickly when they are used properly.

5 comments:

Patricia said...

Hello Kimbyr, welcome to the class. You have certainly jumped right in. I have never heard the term netiquette before, but it does cover what you are saying. I think that you are right, teaching students respect would cover a large portion of what the standards for digital citizenship are trying to specify. You could have even gone one step further to say; teaching students self respect would lead to personal responsibility for lifelong learning. I think that the two go hand in hand. PM

amartell said...

Kimbyr,
I guess it is safe to say that technology is "here to stay". With that in mind, we better know how to use it. Like you said, communicating with others is done in a variety of ways (blogs, wikis, e-mail). In order for our students to become proficient, they must use their new skills under the guidance and supervision of qualified teachers.

Fishman said...

I agree completely that students should be guided as they build their formative technological experiences. There is just as much, if not more, dangerous stuff as good stuff.

chantellegriswold said...

I agree students these days are so excited and prepared to use technology, but they need to take a step back and realize what is appropriate to communicate.

Dan Bunker said...

Kimbyr,
I completely agree that ethics is the most importnat aspect of technology and information. Students and teaachers have to be very careful with the information that they share, both knowing the severe consequences of using these resources inappropiatley. Technology provides us with abundant opportunities, we must learn to harness its information properly.