Monday, February 18, 2008

Blog #3 - My personal skills in 3 categories on the NETS-T

The catgories I selected to reflect on my own personal skills/experience are:
1. Technology Operations and Concepts

I feel somewhat confident in this area. I have taken a few computer classes and use the computer regularly. I do not have in-depth knowledge in all areas, but enough to navigate and utilize the computer successfully for a number of purposes. I understand the uses for technology (various tools) and I feel I can correctly select and use applications effectively and productively. I can use MSWord well, Excel a bit (and am enjoying the opportunity to use it more in this class), and can work my way through PowerPoint. Along with these computer appications, I have used several communication devices such as TechTalk and GoTalk which are Boardmaker devices. I can upload photos from cameras, use cameras for chats, and use printers/fax machines/scanners with ease. I can troubleshoot minor issues, and would like more training in this area. I do feel capable to transfer my knowledge to others in a clear and concise manner.
I would always welcome new information and the opportunity to learn even more about the usage of different technology tools.

2. Teaching, Learning, and the Curriculum

I am an avid user of technological resources with students. The students I work with often have language and physical limitations. Using the computer has been an amazing resource. It gives many of my students the opportunity to demonstrate their knowledge where they might not have been able to do so otherwise due to their disabilities. Using simple tools like the keyboard or touchscreens opens up avenues of expressions for some students and I use them regularly. Software of all kinds is anther tool I use on a daily basis. I am constantly researching and looking for new ways to use the computer in my classroom setting. I regularly research online tools as well as new software applications which might be useful and appropriate for my students based on their abilities and their age. I always have access to a dedicated computer for these students, therefore they are never limited in their access to curriculum that is both useful and necessary to their learning experience.
Although I feel confident in this area, I am always open to new resources to find appropriate and newly-developed programs which I can incorporate into my ever-growing collection of effective tools.

3. Productivity and Professional Practice

This is another area in which I feel confident. A good example of this is this very course. I have continually utilized technology to enhance my own learning experiences. Whether it is an online course, or using the computer for research, it is a vital tool in my professional (and personal) development. I utilize the computer to generate lessons, email colleagues, take classes, research ideas and tools, explore the internet for personal interests, creative tasks, and many, many other things. One very large part of using technology for me is communication with others. This is an area that is a part of my everyday life. I constantly use this tool to stay in touch with others, both professionally and personally. I utilize email tools, webpages, and video chats as well as other interactive tools such as virtual chats or instant messaging.
I am always open to learning new and better ways to communicate via technology. It is a vital part of my life.

Within the other categories I did not select, there are some points I feel confident and competent in, and others I would like more training in. Specifically the area of using technology as an assessment tool.

7 comments:

Patricia said...

I remember from your bio that you know how to work Boardmaker. This is an important piece of technology for students with autism. It is also an old program that is difficult to work. I certainly think that this counts for more than just a basic knowledge of operations.

Fred said...

You had a really great point about how technology can benefit students with different needs. While technology is important for regular ed, it may be even more important for special education. While it allows student with special needs to demonstrate what they know, more importantly I think is it allows them to communicate and connect with others - their teachers and their peers! Technology has made such a huge difference in special education already it will be crucial for those in special ed - and Regular Ed - to stay up to date with new technology that may be beneficial to students with special needs.

MBurgess said...

I find it interesting that you have used TechTalk and GoTalk. I have often wondered how it all works. How did you learn about it if you don't mind me asking...my son has a severe hearing impairment and has always worried me in the even that he loses his hearing.

Kimbyr said...

TechTalk and Gotalk have templates (created by a software program such as Boardmaker)to add icons (with or without corresponding words typed on them) and voice recording buttons to add language. These tools require alot of training with the child/student who will be using it for communication. The Gotalk is much smaller and very very basic - good for young children. TechTalk offers a few more icon choices but basically works the same way. A button/icon is pushed to commuicate the request/need/emotion....by the student. These tools are usually just precursors to much more elaborate communication devices with large keyboards and some even have access to the internet built right in. Usually a speech/language path will being the training with a child on the proper usage of one of these devices.

Fishman said...

Hi Kimbyr,

I completely agree with you, especially about needing to learn how to use technology as an assessment tool. I really am in the dark in that respect... :)

Katie said...

i feel the same as you with the 3 standards you picked. the use of a computer regularly and the fact that you have taken some computer classes is awesome i have taken one and really got to know how to use Microsoft Office but thats about it for me.

Dan Bunker said...

I really like the section where students with disabilities can benefit greatly from different technology. When they begin to feel comfortable and can keep up at a "normal" pace, they begin to feel the disability vanishing for that time. It truly provides them a boost of much-needed confidence.